Monday 1 July 2013

July: The Month of Netgalley


I’m officially declaring July the Month of Netgalley here on Belle’s Bookshelf. I’ve got quite a few ebooks from Netgalley that have been left languishing on my Kindle for FAR too long (seriously, I’m a bit embarrassed by the list below) and I want to knock as many as I can off ASAP. The problem with a Kindle is the books don’t physically take up space. Of course this is awesome in many respects (mainly coz it means I can acquire more books and still have room to walk in my apartment), but it also means the ebooks can get kinda forgotten when I’ve got a physically bulging bookshelf to deal with. But now those IRL piles are going to be dismissed for at least this month, as I plan to read nothing but Netgalley books during July. I’m hoping to get through at least some of these:

-Life in Outer Space by Melissa Keil. This edition is published August 1 2013. Life in Outer Space has received amazing reviews by some of my Goodreads friends, so I’m really excited to read it.

-Outcast by Adrienne Kress. Published June 4 2013. The plot of this sounds bizarrely interesting - featuring aliens and/or angels and/or time travel.

-15 Days Without a Head by Dave Cousins. Published May 8 2013. A few of my blogging friends have really liked this book and I haven’t read much British YA so I’m looking forward to it.

-Lost Cat by Caroline Paul. Published April 9 2013. I’m not a big non-fiction (or, to be honest, cat) person, but the idea of tracking a pet and what it does when you’re not around is kinda fascinating.

-The House at the End of Hope Street by Menna van Praag. Published April 4 2013. It sounds like such a lovely, whimsical, bookish tale.

-White Lines by Jennifer Banash. Published April 4 2013. This sounds like an emotional read, which I’ve been kinda into lately. Plus the reviews are pretty good.

-Mind Your Mental Health by Kaz Cooke. Published March 27 2013. This ebook is based on chapters from Cooke’s larger book Women’s Stuff. I have a feeling it might be useful.

-Marilyn: Norma Jeane by Gloria Steinem. This edition published March 19 2013. I’m fascinated by Marilyn Monroe and while I’ve seen a lot of (mostly bad TV) movies and docos about her, I haven’t read a biography, so I’m keen for this one.

-Song in the Dark by Christine Howe. Published February 27 2013. This is set in my hometown, which is rare, so I HAVE to read it. Also it sounds great.

-Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell. Published February 26 2013. I’ve heard good things about Rowell’s writing, and this book sounds adorable. Plus it’s set in 1986, a.k.a. the best year ever (hello, it’s when I was born!).

As you can see, there are some long-overdue reads here! Sadly this is not everything I have TBR from Netgalley – but it’s what’s jumping out at the moment. Hopefully I can smash through as many as possible this month. P.S. Please tell me I’m not the only one who has a long Netgalley list? I think I need to stop requesting until I catch up!

18 comments:

  1. Go you! I saw a challenge for July and it's all ebooks - I am tempted to join to knock out some Netgalley books!

    I have a long, long Netgalley list, probably 20-30 books :D (<- why am I smiling? I should be doing this :( )

    I have Eleanor and Park, too! Must read it soon, sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. Mine is... longer... than that. Eek!

      Delete
  2. Great idea. I have so many things I need to read on Netgalley. I have Eleanor and Park on audio. I can't wait to read/listen to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it's not just me.

      Eleanor and Park would probably be great on audio!

      Delete
  3. Aaaaand this is exactly the reason I stopped requesting books on Netgalley. I just couldn't keep up with them all. When I feel like I've got a good cull on my reading/blogging again, I think I'll go
    back to it, albeit, with much more reserved intentions (HA! At least that's what I tell myself).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have started requesting less... it's just so darn tempting!

      Delete
  4. Ooooo interesting goal for July :) And YAYYYYY for E&P! I bet you'll lurrrrve it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yay! I'm probably most excited for that one.

      Delete
  5. I'm so relieved to know I'm not the only blogger who neglects Netgalley books. I really wanted to get on top of them, but I'm currently reading the Inkys longlist for judging and now all my physical review copies are piling up! One day, one day I'll get there :) Good luck Belle! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Life In Outer Space! YaY! I have Eleanor & Park here (but in print) and I so need to read it! I loved Attachments and I have Fangirl, Rowell's 3rd novel from NG to read but it's not pubbed for a little while yet.

    I've done a few challenges before to help knock down my NG titles. It's so easy to just keep clicking that button and they build up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It's a little addictive to request and then all too easy to neglect! Hopefully this works :)

      Delete
  7. I have a ton of Netgalley books to read too-I'm looking to read 9 this month plus 2 from Edelweiss (I still have a good 15+ e-ARCs to get through as well.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's probably good that I haven't really gotten into Edelweiss. I don't need more to read haha.

      Delete
  8. Ugghhhh don't remind me how many Netgalley books I NEED to read!!! Anyway White Lines and Eleanor and Park are ones on my TBR too! They both look fab :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sucks but it kinda makes me feel good that I'm not the only one ;)

      Delete
  9. DEFINITELY do Marilyn Monroe. My mums name is Marilyn (named after Monroe ) and my middle name is Marilyn (named after my mum, who was named after Monroe - confusing!) so I was inclined to read a few bio's on her. She was one troubled soul but inspirational and driven nonetheless. I haven't read the one you've written, but I also recommend her own book, "My Story" by Marilyn Monroe (she wrote this when she was at the top of the fame ladder but it wasn't published until years after she died). If you crave something more after that, I recommend Marilyn Monroe's Revealing Last Words and Photographs by George Barris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recs! I'll have to check them out. She was definitely a fascinating woman.

      Delete