Tuesday 18 June 2013

Top Ten Books On My Winter TBR

I feel like I was just doing one of these, and embarrassingly I've read a big fat ZERO from my last TBR list. Hopefully I'll do better this time - here's what I'm hoping to get to...


1. Trumpet by Jackie Kay. I have to admit I'd never heard of Jackie Kay before seeing her at the Sydney Writers' Festival - but I was blown away by her talent, humour, wit and wisdom when I saw her. I immediately bought this book, which is about a transgender Jazz musician, and was lucky enough to get it signed. Now I just have to read it!

2. Going Bovine by Libba Bray. I've been wanting to read another Libba Bray book since reading and loving Beauty Queens, and seeing her at the Sydney Writers' Festival gave me the perfect excuse to take home another of her books. I can't want to dive in to the story of a boy with mad cow disease.

3. The Shining Girls by Lauren Beukes. This was another Sydney Writers' Festival discovery (seriously I spent so much on books that weekend). As soon as I heard the words "time traveling serial killer" I was sold.

4. A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin. I loved A Game of Thrones when I read it a couple of months ago, but I needed to take a bit of a break before I read the rest of the series because it was kinda exhausting. But lately I've been obsessing over it a bit (can you tell?), thanks in no small part to the end of the latest season of the show, so I now I'm itching to read book two. I just have to wait for it to arrive from The Book Depository!

5. Gameboard of the Gods by Richelle Mead. I love Mead's Vampire Academy series and have been wanting to read more of her work. Even though it's gotten mixed reviews, I'm excited to read this one.

6. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. I think this has made every one of my TBR lists since it came out, because I really want to read it, but can never quite bring myself to do it. I will one of these days!

7. Dearly, Departed by Lia Habel. I have a thing for zombies lately, and this is one of the few zombie books I already own, so I want to get to it soon.

8. Between the Lives by Jessica Shirvington. Love the concept of this one - a girl lives two lives simultaneously, switching day by day. It's also got some great reviews from my Goodreads friends.

9. Team Human by Justine Larbalestier and Sarah Rees Brennan. I really enjoyed Larbalestier's Liar when I read it recently and I've heard great things about Team Human.

10. Night Beach by Kirsty Eager. So many people have told me I need to read Eager's books. I have this one so it's a good place to start!

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and The Bookish.

25 comments:

  1. Ooooo I can't wait to see what you think about Going Bovine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you enjoy The Fault in Our Stars as much as I did...my favorite read from last year! I'm excited to try out Gameboard of the Gods as well. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yay! I really need to get off my butt and read it hey.

      Delete
  3. I've heard a lot about The Shining Girls. Great list :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still need to read Kirsty's books. I need to track Raw Blue down especially. And A Fault in Our Stars is great of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to read Raw Blue too, I've heard it's amazing.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I love her judging on the one book I've read!

      Delete
  6. I've only read one Libba Bray book (The Diviners) but it was a great one so I'd say she's a smart choice. Also, any zombie book is good by me!

    As for A Game of Thrones --- I have the audiobook but haven't listened to it yet. I still find it super intimidating and have a feeling it'll take me the rest of the year before I'm done. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to read The Diviners! It sounds so good.
      I'd love to know what the audiobook is like! WHo narrates it?

      Delete
    2. It is, Belle! It's a bit lengthy but once you get into it, you fly through it. SO good!

      GoT is narrated by Roy Dotrice. In fact, I believe he just won an award or something for doing the highest number of distinctive character voices, like, ever via audio. Yeah. When I finish with the new Robert Langdon audiobook, I'm on to GoT so I'll let you know how it is.

      Delete
  7. Haha, I can't believe I've only read ONE of these (The Fault in Our Stars) and didn't even like that one!

    I do want to read Dearly, Departed though. I've heard nothing but good things about it and I think I'm in a bit of a zombie mood lately too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I have read a few negative reviews but most people seem to love it. I guess I'll see when I finally read it!

      Delete
  8. I love that yours is a Winter list... You need to read Dearly,Departed!! I love it! In fact I was going to add it to my giveaway pile and forgot too! oops! You also, need to read TFIOS and I am intrigued to hear your thought of Gameboard of the Gods...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear you like that one! It makes me more keen to read it

      Delete
  9. Where are you that it's winter? Or are you just done w/ your summer TBR. I'm in WI it's supposed to be summer but doesn't feel like it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I recently read Gameboard of the Gods, my first Mead book. It was pretty good - a few issues but I think a lot of first books have them. It takes a book to iron out the world building and the character, etc. I like Night Beach but I absolutely LOVE Raw Blue. Team Human has also been on my TBR pile for months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend Vampire Academy, it's a great series! You'd probably enjoy it :)

      Delete
  11. I'll eagerly await your reviews on these books because a lot of them are in my "hmmmm maybe? Could be awesome, could be not my style" list of reads.

    And me being me, I'm going to suggest you read GRRM *immediately*!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gah, I want to so badly! Seriously I finished my last book last week and haven't started a new one because I really want to read is ACOK but it hasn't arrived, boooo.

      Delete
  12. Gameboard of the Gods is on my top ten as well! I need to read Gearge RR Martin's series at some point, once I have knocked out a couple series I am currently working on. Have a great Summer of reading!
    Here is my post from Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's winter here but it's still a great season for reading :)

      Delete