Tuesday 26 February 2013

Top Ten Authors On My Auto-Buy List

 
1. Melina Marchetta. I was going to make a joke about being so willing to buy anything she writes, I'd purchase her shopping list, but then I realised that sounded totally stalkery and so I won't mention it at all. Ahem.

2. Markus Zusak. I loved The Book Thief and am eagerly anticipating Zusak's next novel, Bridge of Clay. In the meantime I should really get around to reading his earlier stuff.

3. Caroline Overington. Overington's stories cover so many important issues, but at the centre of them all are very authentic characters and realistic emotions. I've loved everything of hers that I've read.

4. Shirley Marr. I love Marr's writing style and the unique stories she writes. Cookie cutter they ain't.

5. Gayle Foreman. Foreman's If I Stay and Where She Went shattered my heart into a million teeny tiny pieces. I admire a writer who can do that.

6. Stephanie Perkins. On the other end of the spectrum, Perkins' Anna and the French Kiss made my heart all light and happy. It's literary fairy floss at its finest.

7. Craig Silvey. I have a bit of a literary crush on Mr Silvey. I devoured Jasper Jones and adored The Amber Amulet, and have Rhubarb on my husband's Kindle waiting for me to steal it away. I can't wait to see what Silvey does next.

8. J. K. Rowling. C'mon. It's the Queen.

9. Charles Dickens. I know, he's dead, but he managed to release a helluva lot of books in his lifetime that I'm slowly making my way through. I've loved what I've read so much I don't hesitate to buy his work, especially when I come across a really cool edition. I totally judge books by their covers.

10. Charlotte Bronte. Same deal as Dickens, except I've actually only read one of her books, that I happened to absolutely love. So I really want to get the rest of Bronte's work.

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

17 comments:

  1. I've read all of Melina Marchetta's books except her Lumatere Chronicles. How are they compared to her contemporary work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved them! They're very different but there's still the same awesome dialogue and characterisation as her contemps.

      Delete
  2. What a good idea! You have me thinking who would be on my list.

    Ooooo I thought of two: Sarah Addison Allen and Joshilyn Jackson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read either of those authors! I'll have to check them out.

      Delete
  3. Charlotte Bronte is the best! Have you read Villette yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not yet! I really must. I've only read Jane Eyre, but I adore it.

      Delete
  4. Bronte is a great choice. ;) Although I'm ashamed to admit I never loved Dickens that much. He's a bit too verbose for my taste.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm the same with Bronte. I've only read Jane Eyre, but HOLY CRUD, it was pure amazeballs. As soon as I finished it, I went out and bought the rest of her stuff. Now I just need to find the time to read them, heh heh. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These days it's definitely hard to make time for the classics, but they're usually worth it.

      Delete
  6. I really dig your classic picks as well as the obvious choice of Ms. Rowling. I will devour ANYTHING by her becuase she's clearly amazing. I'd also have to add David Levithan and Andy McDermott to my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit I still haven't finished The Casual Vacancy. I will one day though! I keep meaning to read Levithan too!

      Delete
  7. MELINA FOREVER!

    I've never heard of Caroline Overington. This is exciting. I love hearing about new (to me) authors. Love your list, Belle.

    -Maggie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh glad to spread the knowledge of her awesomeness! I'd love to know what you think if you can track down any of her books.

      Delete
  8. Love the gif! :D I get all the Stephanie Perkins books too! Lol about Melina Marchetta! <3
    -heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait for Isla and the Happily Ever After!

      Delete
  9. Melina Marchetta and J.K. Rowling would definitely be on my list as well. Wonderful picks, Belle.

    ReplyDelete