Friday 30 November 2012

Friday Links: The BSC, The Hunger Games and Google Poetry


New photos of Sam Claflin as Finnick, Josh Hutcherson as Peeta and Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss in the watery arena (a.k.a. Hawaii) in Catching Fire have emerged. They look awesome. Also awesome: This Hunger Games/Mean Girls mash-up.

Flavorwire has listed 10 TV shows that are better than the books they're based on. I totally agree about True Blood and The Vampire Diaries, but I haven't read any of the others so I can't really judge. Even though that was my aim for this year, with my own challenge and all. Sigh.

If you like charts, you might want to check out this data on 50 Shades of Grey (specifically, the sex scenes). Apparently, the first book is 13 per cent sex, the second is 11 per cent and the third is eight per cent. But you don't have to wait as long to get to the sex scenes in the final two... so there's that.

Did you know David Levithan started out as an intern working on The Baby-Sitters Club? In honour of the BSC's 30th birthday, he's done a Q&A with Ann M. Martin for Scholastic. Super cute.

Who knew Google suggested searches could be so poetic? And hilarious - but we all knew that part.

I would really love to know how some people's minds work. Like what kind of mind goes, "hey, you know what would be a great idea? Taking celebrity mug-shots and giving them a 1920s makeover". An awesome mind, that's what kind. An awesome one.

I loved looking at these vintage photos of Australian kids, especially all the Christmas shots.

This super-cut of Barack Obama in relaxed moments will make you smile.

YouTube Clip of the Week
Poor puppy is never going to get his toy back.  

14 comments:

  1. So many Catching Fire squees this week.. Sam Claflin looks great, IMO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - he's exactly how I pictured Finnick

      Delete
  2. LOVE the celebrity mug-shots with 1920s makeovers! Thanks for the link! :)

    Alice @ Alice in Readerland

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know half those tv shows came from books! But they're completely wrong about Game of Thrones. I love both the book and TV series, but the suggestion that the books aren't as addictive as the tv show is completely refuted by the fact I read all five books in 3-4 weeks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still need to read the books. They're just so biiiiig.

      Delete
    2. yeah I know that feeling! So worth it though!

      Delete
    3. Ok I'll have to get to them... sometime.

      Delete
  4. I had no idea about David Levithan and the BSC. How fun.

    I haven't watched True Blood, but I will say that I'm not surprised that it's better than the books... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, apparently he still works at Scholastic, which I didn't realise!

      Delete
  5. I just saw the Hunger Games movie for the first time and Ive got to say the book was miles better. I guess that's like most book movie adaptations but still I am upset.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book was better but I still think the movie was great.

      Delete
    2. I completely understand the criticism of the film, and while I didn't like it as much as the book I still really enjoyed it.

      Delete
  6. Essentially, it is usually drastically more affordable in the event you exchange the actual battery oneself, as opposed to finding a storage area to get it done.
    As you lift out the screen you'll see it is still attached via a ribbon cable. If a LED is used instead of a bulb, the connections will require a bit more attention.

    my homepage gratis spiele spielen

    ReplyDelete