Tuesday 14 August 2012

Review: Puberty Blues by Kathy Lette and Gabrielle Carey


I read Puberty Blues along with the Top Chicks ShirleyJess, Lissa, Zoe and Mandee a couple of weeks ago, and because I'm a slack-arsed moll I'm only getting around to writing my review now.

My first encounter with Puberty Blues was when I was a young teenager; my mum would sing the theme song from the movie whenever I would get all angsty. It was as annoying as it sounds. When I was a little older I watched the movie, and was pretty horrified, cringing the whole way through. When I was a little older than that, I watched it again, and this time thought it was equal parts horrifying and hilarious. Having now read the book, I can say my feelings for the source material are pretty much the same - I found it both horrifying and hilarious, often at the same time.

If you live under a rock - or, y'know, not in Australia - Puberty Blues is the semi-autobiographical account of two teen girls trying to fit in with the popular surfie crowd in 1970s Sydney. It's sparse in both length and language, with a frankness that emphasises the rawness of story. The narrator, Deb, describes characters and relays events in a matter-of-fact manner that leaves you with eyes wide and pearls clutched. I'm talking 13-year-olds having sex, doing drugs, being gang raped... I want to give a copy of this to every person who claims "kids today" are more sexualised than ever and say, o rly?

Interestingly, the fact that internal narration or reflection is limited works to highlight how awful the whole situation is, especially because when Deb does comment, it's very tongue-in-cheek. As they look back on events a few years down the track, it's clear Deb and Sue are wiser and definitely not OK with how they were treated in the past. There's a kind of credulity in certain parts; it's as though they're saying, "Yep, we did that, can you believe it?" But, importantly, while they may shake their heads at their naivety and invite others to do so, it's not about passing judgement on the girls. If there is judgement, it's on the boys who treated them so abysmally and the culture that not only allowed but encouraged this kind of behaviour.

Shirley mentioned in her review that she considers Puberty Blues to be a feminist book, and I agree. While it recounts some very sexist words and actions from a group of misogynistic boys (and girls, actually), the perspective of hindsight discussed above means that this sexism, while not overtly criticised, is purposely shown in a negative light. The closing scene, in which the girls triumphantly decide to forget about what others think, get their own surfboard and teach themselves to surf (something that was previously taboo) reinforces the ultimately feminist message. I would have liked this scene and their victory to have been expanded upon, but really, its brevity is in keeping with the rest of the novel.

I did appreciate the book, and there were parts that were really funny, but more than anything I was disturbed. It's scary to think that that's the way things used to be for girls - and even scarier to contemplate whether much has changed. I certainly hope it has!

While I think the writing was really effective overall, the first person narration didn't quite work at times. Although Deb is the main narrator, she would talk about events and conversations that she wasn't present for. Of course, it could be explained in that Sue (or someone else) told her about them - but it's not. I just found it sloppy and distracting. It could be due to the writers' inexperience at the time, but I would think an editor at least would pick it up. It's not a major problem, and I can see why this book is such a cult classic, even if it's not entirely enjoyable. At just over a hundred pages, it's a quick read - but not an easy one.

Rating: 3/5

Related
So excited for the TV show that starts tomorrow night, although it looks like they've seriously toned it down.



Fine Print
Genre: I guess this would be young adult, although it deals with pretty mature themes and has been around since before YA was officially a genre.
Published: 1982
Get It: Readings

16 comments:

  1. This sounds...intense. I haven't read Puberty Blues, and probably won't, but I definitely will be checking out the TV show tomorrow night on 10. Glad to hear you enjoyed this, great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very intense. I plan on doing a review/comparison of the TV show so it will be interesting to see how closely it follows the book.

      Delete
  2. Great! Another reason to wish I lived in Australia! That show looks soooooooooooo good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I missed the premiere so I'm hoping I can find it online!

      Delete
  3. The sense of nostalgia for me is so strong, I loved the premiere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was great! Looking forward to the rest of the series.

      Delete
  4. I think this is among the most significant information for
    me. And i am glad reading your article. But should remark on few general things, The
    website style is perfect, the articles is really nice
    : D. Good job, cheers

    Feel free to visit my web-site ... skolewikien.dk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much because you have been willing to share many topics information with us. we will always appreciate all you have done here because I know you are very concerned with our and, Thank you a bunch for sharing this with all of us you actually realize what you are talking about! assignments help - auditing assignment - best assignment help australia

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a article website, Its is ever green information to every user. I'm very happy to finally read this blog updates and, I am sharing my website about assignment related, If you have any questions and doubt, please visit my website and get solution of your problem about assignment related. I am sure it will be interesting. Essay Help - statistics homework help - college homework help

    ReplyDelete
  7. hu post utme past question It’s truly a nice and useful piece of information shared, I am satisfied that you shared this helpful information with us and i look forward to more of your useful post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Twitch TV is an online streaming video platform that allows any player to play anywhere in the world to live stream at twitch.tv/activate their game either on their own as well as in small groups. One of the coolest features of Twitch TV is that from it you can stream and stream any type or video stream.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am always looking forward to read the neat and clean quote. For this purpose, I found your content slogan effective and impressive. If we make to amicable environment to do work prosperity, then you attach with quotation of Assignment Help Online. In fact, it would be really helpful for you. Not only for you, but other people can access great knowledge with you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post. It is the best platform for bloggers who want to write any type of story that will grab readers attention. You can also take assistance of an assignment writing service uk to write a professional blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. secrets cleaning home Tips From the Pros These cleaning professional secrets will make your house sparkle from top to bottom. Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
    natural health supplements 
    foreclosure investing pros 
    characteristics good policy 
    fitness equipment exercise 
    reinforcement learning machine 
    design information technology 

    ReplyDelete