Friday 18 November 2011

Review: Amy and Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson

There are some books that are so lovely, they actually make you do a happy sigh and smile as you close them. This is one of them.


That's not to say it's all fairy floss, sunshine and unicorns. Quite the opposite - Amy and Roger's Epic Detour tackles some pretty serious issues - like heartbreak, death and grief - but it does so in such a tender, realistic way that it's not morbid or depressing at all. The story focuses on Amy, who is just barely recovering from her father's death in a car accident three months prior. She hasn't gotten in a car since, let alone behind the wheel, so when she has to get their car across the country, Amy's mum enlists Roger, an old family friend, to drive.

Roger and Amy haven't seen each other since they were kids, but being crammed in a car together for hours on end certainly helps them get to know each other pretty damn quick. They're both dealing with their own issues, but as they open up on their crazy detour, they make discoveries about themselves and are able to move towards feeling better - not to mention towards each other. Ahem.

Before reading this I was worried it would be a bit angsty and emo, given the subject matter, but as Roger and Amy zig-zag across America, they encounter a lot of amazing places and quirky characters, and it's actually a really fun ride. Amy and Roger are themselves very likable characters, and Matson's writing is clean, straightforward and well-paced. I loved the scrapbooky details scattered throughout - the photos, playlists and random notes enhanced the story and enforced the feeling that you're taking this journey along with Amy and Roger. In fact, this book will totally make you want to take a road trip. And see America. And listen to new music. And make awesome playlists. And eat lots of junk food. And kiss cute boys. And cry a little. And smile a lot.

Rating: 4/5

Eye Candy
Roger is supposed to be jaw-droppingly gorgeous, and the guy who instantly came to mind was Zac Efron. Swooon... Amy, meanwhile, is a cute redhead, so who else could I picture but my favourite adorable redhead, Emma Stone?! Nobody, that's who, coz Emma Stone is the shizz.

Source


Source
Fine Print
Genre: Young Adult
Published: Simon and Schuster, 2011
Get It: Book Depository

Related
Some awesome people have handily compiled Roger and Amy's playlists on YouTube. Listen while you read for extra fun.

7 comments:

  1. I love road trip books and I can't wait to get my hands on this one. I think I'll picture Zac too, if you don't mind. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm totally reading this right now! Thanks for putting up the playlist; I'll be putting it good use. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds cute. Great title and great eye candy. Yum Zac! This sounds like one I want to read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really loved this one, even though it dealt with some serious topics it was a really fun and cute read. And I love roadtrips so I really enjoyed all the extras that this one included like the receipts, playlists, notes, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adored this book too!! Read this about a year ago during the Summer time and I just couldn't help but imagine about my own road trip with my friends!! It is such a feel-good, cute, and fun story!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Im glad you liked this one, i have it on one of my shelves. I think i should push it up to 'must read asap'.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Literally the whole way through reading this book I was picturing Emma Stone as Amy!!

    ReplyDelete