Wednesday 17 August 2011

My Book Boyfriend: Mr Fitzwilliam Darcy


My Book Boyfriend is hosted by Missie at The Unread Reader. It's all about fictional boys who make us swoon. This week my book boyfriend is perhaps my greatest fictional love - Mr Darcy from Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. I haven't chosen him in the past because, well, it's just so obvious, but I thought it was about time I devoted a post to him. I know he's a bit of a snob at first, but deep down he's amazeballs (it's true, I got that straight from Austen). Can you really blame the guy for being a bit standoffish when he's saddled with a name like Fitzwilliam?! Anyhoo, I love him for a bazillion different reasons, some of which include his tenderness, (hidden) passion, devotion, intelligence, protectiveness, sense of humour (yes, he has one) and his very large... estate. But most of all I love his connection with Elizabeth and the respect he has for her; the way he loves is amazing (even if his first go at a proposal is totally botched - hey, he comes good in the end!). He's been played by many actors over the years, some great, some average - but none more Darcysauce than Colin Firth!
 

Swoon-worthy Quotes

"In vain have I struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you." 


"If you will thank me, let it be for yourself alone. That the wish of giving happiness to you might add force to the other inducements which led me on I shall not attempt to deny. But your family owe me nothing. Much as I respect them, I believe I thought only of you." 

"I cannot fix on the hour, or the spot, or the look, or the words, which had laid the foundation. It is too long ago. I was in the middle before I knew that I had begun."

PS It's not from the book, but I couldn't resist including this...

14 comments:

  1. I can't believe you hadn't chosen Darcy before Belle!! That quote is my fav from the book and I love how Colin Firth portrays him. Very swoonworthy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terrible, isn't it? I'm not worthy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wet Darcy does me in every time! I wish sideburns like his never went out of fashion. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Darcy too but for some reason I've never been that enamored with Colin Firth. (don't hit me) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It really doesn't matter which version of Darcy there is, the one in your head, or the many who have played him on television and movies. They're all so swoon worthy!

    And yes, Firth holds the top spot indeed!

    Great post!

    Kristin

    Check out mine if you get a chance!

    http://happilyeverafter-reads.blogspot.com/2011/08/my-book-boyfriend-8-clayton-danvers.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. *Fans self* Why Mr. Darcy... don't you know you are supposed to TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT before swimming? Please... I must insist... ;D

    LOVE Darcy! Such a great choice. Oh and btw... love "amazeballs". I may have to borrow that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had this series on video when it first came out and that very scene was played constantly and I mean constantly. BEST SCENE EVER.

    I reread Pride and Prejudice at least once very 6 months and have done for years. I might go and dig out my DVD copy now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love! I think it's about time MR. Darcy has been featured here :) Nice to know he is your ultimate fictional boyfriend ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahh the first quote is so gorgeous.
    I love Mr Darcy, I have to admit I really liked the film version with Keira Nightley and i loved that Darcy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yessssss. Always Mr. Dracy, always.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Got to love Mr Darcy!! Great pick Belle :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Belle!
    Yes, yes, yes to everything you said! I read P&P every year since I first read it 15 years ago. Have you watched "Lost in Austen" if you haven't ...you should. It is the ultimate fantasy for a Darcy fancier.
    I wrote a post about the real reasons behind the fascination of 21st century woman for Mr. Darcy in my blog. I have attached the link in case someone would like to read it.
    Your blog rocks Belle!


    http://skirt.com/bloggablegirl/blog/fancying-mr-darcy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awwe Darcy. How do I love thee, let me count the ways. Nice pick Belle. I've wanted to do Darcy for a while and I would always pick Colin Firth, or even the guy who portrayed him in Lost in Austen. Awesome pick!
    -Jess

    ReplyDelete
  14. Darcysauce. Oh wow. Oh, Nancy. (means I lol)

    ReplyDelete