Wednesday 3 August 2011

My Book Boyfriend: Edward Rochester


It's My Book Boyfriend time! This is a weekly meme hosted by the lovely Missie at The Unread Reader, focusing on fictional boys that we wish were not so fictional. This week my book boyfriend is Edward Fairfax Rochester from Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. I love him for his passion, intelligence and general sexiness as well as the way he respects Jane and treats her like an equal. He's her perfect match and they're connected in a powerful, almost supernatural way. It's one of my favourite love stories. When I first read the book I was still in my Ever After phase, so my Rochester ended up looking a lot like Dougray Scott. But since then I've fallen in love with Toby Stephens as Rochester and, even more recently, Michael Fassbender. Now I'm torn between the two - they're both brilliant and different in the role - though my new obsession with Fassbender makes me lean slightly towards him. I think I'll have to reread the book and test who comes to mind. In the meantime, I've included pics of all three guys...

Swoon-worthy Quotes

"'I knew, you would do me good, in some way, at some time; - I saw it in your eyes when I first beheld you: their expression and smile did not - (again he stopped) - did not (he proceeded hastily) strike delight to my very inmost heart so for nothing.'"

"'I have for the first time found what I can truly love - I have found you. You are my sympathy - my better self - my good angel; I am bound to you with a strong attachment. I think you good, gifted, lovely: a fervent, a solemn passion is conceived in my heart; it leans to you, draws you to my center and spring of life, wraps my existence about you - and, kindling in pure, powerful flame, fuses you and me in one.'" 
"'Every atom of your flesh is as dear to me as my own: in pain and sickness it would still be dear. Your mind is my treasure; and if it were broken, it would be my treasure still.'"

“'My bride is here,' he said, again drawing me to him, 'because my equal is here, and my likeness. Jane, will you marry me?'”

16 comments:

  1. ahh mr Rochester..
    I watched the most recent adaption of Jane Eyre and loved it so so much.
    I love Michael Fassbender as Mr Rochester. His handsomeness grows on you throughout the movie.
    great pick! i will have to watch the other 2 adaptions

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Rochester!! Jane Eyre is one of my favorite books, and I've always adored his character. There is just something so interesting about a mysterious guy for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never could get into these kinds of books but I do so love me some Fassy. Good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. +JMJ+

    I had been hoping Mr. Rochester would make one of these Book Boyfriend lists! =D

    (Or perhaps he already has--but on a blog I haven't been reading.)

    I wasn't aware Dougray Scott played Mr. Rochester in one adaptation. Do you recommend that one, Belle?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Slap me know but I've never read Jane Eyre. I don't know why.

    But Michael Fassbender! *le freaking swoon* He is truly what I'd call a handsome man.

    I loved Dougray Scott in Everafter. He was so young looking and completely charming.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh Mr Rochester. Yes. Quite the gentleman and quite the odd man to love but still did. Nicely done :)
    -Jess

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, I can not stand Rochester, but that's a good thing. Now I won't try to steal him from you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww I loved Mr. Rochester too. I was so heartbroken when I read it the first time and found out about his first wife!!! I am SUCH a fan of Dougary Scott! I've been in love with him since Ever After. LOVE LOVE LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Abbey - I loved it too! I agree, he gets sexier throughout. The Toby Stephens adaptation is also awesome.

    Jillian - He is very mysterious! It definitely draws you in.

    allstarme - I've only recently noticed him but he's quickly taking up a lot of my thoughts. :)

    Enbrethiliel - He actually hasn't, he's just how I pictured Rochester when I read the book :) But Stephens and Fassbender are both great Rochesters!

    Missie - You should give it a go! It's a bit slow at first while Jane is a little girl, but as soon as Rochester comes riding in - wow!

    Jess - His passion just drives me nuts.

    Jenny - Oh no! Yeah, that's OK, more for me :D

    Andra - I think I knew the story before I read it but I still felt so sad for Jane! It's a bit horrible really - in a good way! So beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I saw the new Jane Eyre preview, Fassbender immediately became my Rochester. He's yummy, but not too yummy, and hard - so he's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmmm...did you ever see the Timothy Dalton version? I think it was a mini series, but originally it as a movie so I'm not quite sure. I LOVE Timothy Dalton as Rochester. He's a bit old now, but perfect when he actually played the part. Although, I agree, I do love the newest actor. Awesome pick! I love Jane Eyre because she is who she is and never pretends otherwise.

    Jen
    In the Closet With a Bibliophile

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my those quotes are making me melt! He is such an awesome pick :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. April - I agree. I feel like I'm betraying Toby Stephens, because I always adored him as Rochester, but the more I see Fassbender, the more he IS Rochester :)

    Jen - I've never seen the Timothy Dalton version, I've always meant to and never got around to it. I've seen pictures and he does look like a good Rochester, though perhaps a bit too handsome? I'll have to check it out.

    Nic - I know, right? I haven't read it in awhile and when I went to find some quotes I was like, wow! I'd forgotten just how swoon-worthy he is.

    ReplyDelete
  14. http://harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=202

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sarah - That's hilarious, thanks for sharing! I haven't read any Anne Bronte, I must get around to it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You can keep Micheal Fassbender if I can have Toby Stephens. JK. I am 100% completely in love with Toby Stephens! That man! He is the perfect Mr. Rochester, I am completely obsessed with the 2006 mini-series. Great choice for Bookish Boyfriend!

    ReplyDelete