Friday 1 April 2011

Aussie Author Month

I can't believe we're in April already! This year is going so fast. But one good thing about it being April is that it's Aussie Author Month. Organised by Book Thingo, Fangbooks, and a Writer Goes on a Journey, it's all about supporting and promoting Aussie authors, as well as raising money for the Indigenous Literacy Project.


I've decided to take part because it sounds super-fun, and I've realised that I definitely don't read enough local authors. Unfortunately I didn't finish Stefan's Diaries in time to start with an Aussie book straight away (I've been mega-busy this week), but as soon as I'm done with that - hopefully this weekend - I'll be focusing on reading and reviewing only Aussie authors for the rest of the month. Here are the options I have lined up:I don't know if I'll manage to squeeze them all into the month, but I'm going to give it a go. I've also decided to join the Aussie Author Challenge run by Booklover Book Reviews - the deadline for this is not until the end of the year, so whatever I don't read during the month I'll definitely get to at a later stage - and then some! I'm aiming for "True Blue" status - you have to read and review at least 12 Aussie books (from at least nine different authors) by the end of the year. I'm really excited about this - Aussie, Aussie, Aussie! (Sorry, that's the bogan in me coming out).

10 comments:

  1. I have Ghost Child to read for AAM too! I'm really looking forward to it, I loved Caroline Overington's 2nd novel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, great! I haven't read any of her novels, but I've been meaning to for awhile and this is the perfect chance. I really admire her. This will be fun - we can compare reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to try and do this too, there are some great Australian authors out there I haven't read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i hope this isn't too awkward that I start jumping around waving a sign that says "Jellicoe Road! Jellicoe Road!" because THAT BOOK IS AMAZING I HOPE YOU READ IT FIRST ;) this seems like such a fun event!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree! Jellicoe Road was just... amazing! By the way, I love your blog! My book blog is about the same age as yours, you should check it out!

    -Meredith
    http://mintteaandagoodbook.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, thanks for the feedback guys. I was already excited to read Jellicoe Road, and now I'm even more so! I've read (and reread) Looking for Alibrandi and Saving Francesca and LOVE those, so it's about time I got on to the rest of Marchetta's work. I have it on order from the Book Depository so I hope it gets here SOON!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very warm welcome to the 2011 Aussie Author Challenge Belle! Some great books on your list there...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Booklover! It should be fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. How good is Paul Jennings?! I love that kids I know now are reading him as voraciously as I used to.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I was obsessed with Paul Jennings when I was younger. I was wondering if kids these days still read him - I'm glad they do!

    ReplyDelete